Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wheelbuilding for Dummy

Dura-Ace daddy long-legs.
Custom, hand-built wheels are way classier than anything else on the road. If anyone else had my exact taste, they'd recognize this.

So for no good reason, I decided to rebuild one of my custom wheels. The reason being: I was proud of my first build, and was showing off my wheels to my mechanic buddies, Jose and Scott.

Oh, the ego, how quickly it leaks helium. They quickly noted I'd laced it backward a couple of years ago (with the spokes oriented or pulling the wrong way). Being very nitpicky about my bikes (and ego), I immediately set about relacing the whole wheel with new spokes, reoriented the right way and everything.

Naturally, when built, it made no difference. The wheel works exactly as before, which is to say perfectly. These are the ways I waste my days obsessing over trivialities. On top of it all, when I showed off my newly built wheel, Jose noticed that I'd crossed spokes over the valve hole, which doesn't affect anything, but is considered a sign of an amateur builder. Basically, he again gave me the "nice try."

It's a learning process. It's all a learning process. If only I would learn that.

Freshly rolled kabobs, courtesy of Maestro at I Martin.

Torqued nipples litter my garage. (Is that Rapha calling?)

Mavic Open Pro rims. So PRO.



D-A hubs. Nothing but the best for the worst.

The first step of gettin' laced.

No comments: