Wednesday, August 3, 2011

SRAM S40 Wheels Are Garbage

Turds.
I'd like to write a long-winded review. It'd be hard, though, because despite having had the luxury of two brand new sets, SRAM's S40 wheels fail after one ride, every time. They are the worst wheels ever.

The first set, the non-drive side spokes began popping one by one, until the mechanic at Helen's Cycles finally shook his head and said he'd make SRAM send me a replacement. That took a month.

The second set lasted one Saturday. When I got home and found my tire low, I parked my bike. Two hours later... PING. Another non-drive side spoke.

Bike mechanics all tell me that SRAM uses cheap, low-grade parts, and that they're inexpensive gruppos because of it. Three of the best bike mechanics in LA have also told me that these wheels use very cheap and hard-to-find spokes — I know this because they didn't have the spokes. So not only do the spokes break, but they're near impossible to replace.

In case you missed the title here, SRAM's wheels are crap. Get ye some Mavics.

UPDATE:
Third warranty replacement set arrived! With a crack at the valve hole. Good stuff!

No comments: